A solid foundation is vitally important to ensure the long-term stability of any building. As the architects of our own success and business “buildings,” we must use these same time-tested building principles to ensure the long-term success of our affiliate marketing business. Unfortunately, a lot of new affiliate marketers tend to start building the second floor first.
As silly as it sounds in building the “real world”, it’s equally silly to neglect the most important steps when starting our own affiliate marketing business and trying to “get by”. The 5 fundamental principles for a successful affiliate marketing business are mostly “mental”, and this is where the legwork begins. These are important skills that need to be embraced and used on a daily basis.
1) Desire is everything! Anyone who wants to build a successful affiliate marketing business must first have a strong desire to do so. This desire must also have the ability to expand. This strong desire can be compared to cordoning off a place where cement and concrete will eventually be poured for a building, except there are no limits. This desire consists of the need to succeed, as well as the need to grow and become better.
2) Then comes the work. Anyone who wants to build something successful, especially an affiliate marketing business, must be ready to put in a lot of time and effort. Affiliate marketing success doesn’t happen overnight, no matter what the sales letter says! This is where the twin powers of perseverance and determination work together for a positive outcome. In the beginning, your affiliate marketing business will not finance itself. You will have to work to get your products to your specific markets and much of this work will seem redundant. Keep it up because it’s a point where your work will cascade down and reach critical mass. The hardest part is having the patience to see it through.
3) Discipline must not only be developed but also maintained and increased. An affiliate marketing business requires great self-discipline. Staying focused on the goal at hand is sometimes the hardest thing to do, since our work is done on such a fast medium: the Internet! It is very easy to treat an affiliate marketing business as some kind of hobby. Set goals and achieve them at all costs no matter what stands in your way. Be a warrior! Don’t give up or get discouraged before you achieve that breakthrough.
4) Along with work and discipline comes determination. An affiliate marketing business will test your patience and determination. One day you will feel successful and that everything is going in your favor. The next day could bring the complete opposite feeling. It’s not individual moments of success that make an affiliate marketing business successful, but rather the ability to go through it all, learn new skills and apply them to every situation where it’s needed. Never rest and dwell on your successes or failures. You must persist and take what you learned from both and apply it to new situations.
5) Finally, there is nothing in the world that can replace a positive mental attitude. Some days you may not be persistent or determined. The ebb and flow of life takes its toll on all of us. If you strive to maintain a positive mental attitude throughout the process, you will always have the strength and fortitude to get back in the game.
Although these skills are not the end of how to build a successful affiliate marketing business, it is important to keep in mind that the fundamental principles start from the inside and not from the outside. They start with a thought and that thought becomes a thing. What you become depends entirely on your vision and how you see yourself carrying out that vision.